The First Tee uses golf to teach youth life lessons and leadership skills. Sessions include a fun, group setting for youth ages 7 to 18 regardless of background or previous experience. Teaming up with experts in positive youth development, The First Tee helps youth become good golfers and even better people.
A YOUTH PROGRAM UNLIKE ANY OTHER
The First Tee emphasizes Nine Core Values: honesty, integrity, sportsmanship, respect, confidence, responsibility, perseverance, courtesy and judgment. Through golf and our core values, your kids and teens will learn life skills like:
- Making proper introductions
- Managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
ADVANCING THROUGH THE PROGRAM
From age 7 through 18, youth progress through different levels by demonstrating The First Tee Nine Core Values, life and golf skills as well as passing an assessment. All participants regardless of age start at the PLAYer level. The pinnacle of The First Tee is completing Ace.
- PLAYer (required minimum age 7) – Tee up for the first time and learn the game of golf and The First Tee’s Code of Conduct.
- Par (recommended minimum age 9) – Focus on interpersonal and self-management skills on and off the course.
- Birdie (recommended minimum age 11) – Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality.
- Eagle (recommended minimum age13) – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning.
- Ace (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community.
We run programming 4 times per year, Winter, Spring, Summer & Fall. Participants are welcome to join us for all four or just 1 or more…whatever fits into your schedule. Most sessions consist of a 9 week class that meets once per week. At most sites Winter session starts in January, Spring in April, Summer varies and Fall starts in September. Specific dates and times (schedules) will be posted for each session at least one month before classes start (sometimes earlier) and online registration is available at that time as well. Click on the course links below for our upcoming schedule.
Most of The First Tee of Hawaii programs offer online registration. Online registration requires an active email address to serve as your username and participant information including: name, date of birth, grade level, address, ethnicity and family income (optional). All information is kept confidential and will not be shared with any other organization.